Sunday, March 15, 2009

Little Guy BD...

We had a BD to goto this weekend...a "NO GIFTS" party, but well I ignored that...sorry but that is the Italian in me...MUST bring something. They call it "Una Pensiera"...the little thought...I always found it amusing that the concept of bringing a thoughtful gift was in the feminine.

So I bought a simple Romper and then decided it looked like NOTHING in the typical gift bag scenario. So I decided, what the heck...I have to make a card and why not a box to match!

The initial idea was to match the box with the coloring on the outfit...but well I got the box finished and realized outfit choice #1 didn't fit...so I went to alternate outfit...which fit beautifully!
The box was made out of an 8.5" square of red cardstock...scored at 2" on all sides. It finished at a lovely 4.5" square box. The top was a little more involved but WELL worth it! I used a white cardstock square cut to 6 5/8" and scored 1" all around...the original instructions called for 6 3/4" square but that made a badly fitting lid and looked weird! So there we have it...this lid fit perfectly and after I punched it with my Fiskars Threading Water border punch...it looked all Fancy Smancy.

I decorated the top with believe it or not turquoise construction paper I got in a HUGE pack from Costco...this is the most beautiful color I wish I could find it in cardstock! The scrap of patterned paper was from the DCWV Stack 6 (I am SOO pathetic I actually bought two of these...I mean I liked...but really I didn't need two).



I ran the Paper through my Swiss Dots Folder which gave it some much needed texture so the stamped sentiment from The Angel Company "Tag Tidbits" stood up a bit. Looking at this picture I really wished I had put it on dimensionals AND not stamped Happy Birthday so that box could be reused.
The card is a 4.25" square that fits in the top of the box on top of the gift...see no need for a envelope! I mixed and matched quite a few things...my stamp table is a mess so pretty much EVERYTHING I own is within reach...sometimes that is a good thing.

I stamped the birthday sentiment at the very bottom using a dirty Angel Company "One liners" so that Palette Reflection Blue is a little muddied...but is actually works. I used a random alphabet (I think it was part of a Costco stamping kit) and Palette Reflection Blue to stamp the BD boys name then filled in the blank space with a flourish from the PTI Simply Stationery Set. Another larger flourish from the left hand corner is from The Angel Company's Curls and Swirls Set. Finally the sentiment is set on another strip of designer paper with a scrap of that Turquoise Construction paper, Swiss Dotted!

Another strip of 3/4" by 4" paper was used to decorate the inside with the sentiment stamped in the middle.

Box Supplies:

  • Stamps: TAC Tag Tidbits, Circle Sampler
  • Ink: Pallette Noir, Reflection Blue
  • Cardstock: White (Walmart); Paper Company Primary Red; DCWV Stack 6; Costco Construction Paper Pack Turquoise
  • Tools: Fiskars Threading Water Border Punch; Cuttlebug Swiss Dots Embossing Folder

Card Supplies:

  • Stamps: TAC Tag Tidbits, One Liners; Curlz and Swirls; PTI Simpley Stationery; Random Alphabet
    Ink: Pallette Noir, Reflection Blue
    Cardstock: White (Walmart); Paper Company Primary Red; DCWV Stack 6; Costco Construction Paper Pack Turquoise
    Tools: Cuttlebug Swiss Dots Embossing Folder

No comments: