Sunday, March 08, 2009

Pretty as a Princess...

Coloring Book that is. I like to include something handmade if possible with every gift I give. I ALWAYS try to make a card, but something useful that can be used after the event is even better!

We had a Birthday Party to attend, my very best friend's daughter and son...they are like my very own kids. I've seen them grow up, I babysit for them...the works. So remember that AWESOME Princess Stamp set I bragged about snagging? I finally put it to good use.

I first saw this design in a project created by StampwithGwen, she used it as a mini-Easter Scrapbook. I liked how it opened so decided to use it as a holder for, some blank cardstock pics and color pencils. Note that I scored the cardstock to make it easy to cut (and help me with where I was stamping)...so once colored these images can be used on scrapbook layouts, cards (or course)...all with that little bit of personalization from the child.

I always am striving to involve my kids in the gift giving process...so that they 'get' that well 1) you should show appreciation to those that impact your life 2) handmade is JUST as good as bought and it REALLY is the thought that counts and 3) and this is probably the most important....to quote my friend, "They don't show up with their arms swinging".

While I make/buy most of their presents I always make them sign the card (or stamp it if they don't write yet), carry the gift to the person, hand it to them...and most of all say Happy 'occasion' and Thank You!

Okay on to the project...

I took some Lavender DCWV Textured paper and made a gatefold card. I then punched out the border using a Fiskars punch. and tied a white organza ribbon around the lower edge to hold it shut. The image is the smaller Cinderella I think, matted with DCWV Primary Purple...and it is Purple because Purple is "C's" favorite color. Not please do not make fun of my coloring...I know her face looks like it needs a good washing! I was using Aqua Crayons and a blender pen BUT my blender pen was dry and I recently discovered if you just use a bit of water, miracles of miracles it works just as well...I just used WAY too much water and soaked the paper! My bad...

Inside....


I simple stamped various large and small images with Palette Noir so that they can be colored, water colored...crayoned...whatever her little heart desires! Most importantly, I scored the cardstock to ensure I stamped the image in the right place so later it could be matted if desired.

So the images just slip under the flap and the whole thing closes...viola! A cute AND handmade gift. I packaged it in a glassine envelope with a set of mini color pencils.

Supplies Used:

  • Paper: DCWV Textured Lavender; Paper Company Primary Purple; White Cardstock
  • Accessories: Offray White Iridescent Organza ribbon
  • Tools: Fiskars Threading Water Punch

1 comment:

Shelby said...

And let me second how adorable this is!! My daughter absolutely LOVED it, and has colored in a few of the princesses already. Just awesome!!